As Yet Untitled...

I don't know what it is, but this blog seems to be becoming less and less about mental ill health. The aim of this blog was, of course, to explain some of the misconceptions surrounding mental illness, and by doing so, attempt to dismantle some of the stigma which is still a burden to many. But, as I have gotten better and more time has gone by since my last episode of ill health, my preoccupation with mental illness has abated. Now I find that I've virtually exhausted the subject, at least from my own point of view, so I look around, feverishly trying to think of things to write about. I suppose that this, really, is a good sign (at least for me), as I now look to other areas to spark my interest. You could say that it's just another episode on a journey, a journey which has taken me from being very unwell and almost defined by my own illness, to one who now sees himself as very much his own person once again.
I hope, then, that this blog reflects an ongoing progress (indeed, at one point, I did take to calling my posts "Dave's Progress") and as such, can perhaps be a source of hope for others who may currently be going through a difficult time. I have endeavoured to show that there is light at the end of even the darkest tunnel, and indeed there have been dark times in my past. I think that I've explained just how low I got in some of the posts on this blog, and have examined my recovery from those times with the sometime consternation of one who perhaps wonders just how and why he has recovered so well. I can only say that it's probably been more luck than judgement.
Of course, being well brings with it its own new problems and responsibilities. I think I can perhaps best explain this by referring to the American writer William Burroughs, who, in the introduction to his novel, "Queer", describes the difference between his character William Lee when he takes drugs to when he stops, saying, "Lee on junk is coveted, protected... junk... blunts emotional reactions to the vanishing point... When the cover is removed, everything that has been held in check by junk spills out." I think there is something of a parallel to be drawn between such experiences and the experience of mental ill health. I have come to see my own road though mental ill health as one in which some emotional trauma blunted my own "emotional reactions". Perhaps disturbances in one's psyche are really just some form of escape, just as drugs may be an escape, from a profound hurt; a way of anaesthetising painful emotions. It only follows then, that as one recovers, all that has been held in check by insanity "spills out". Don't get me wrong, I'm not a screaming, emotional wreck, but I do think that "normal" emotions return after such episodes of illness, and it takes a while to get used to them once again.
So, as I go on my new, well path, perhaps, in the words of the national anti-stigma campaign, it's "time to change". Time for something new to reflect the new me. Time, perhaps, to put the past to bed and let the future open up. As for the rest of this blog, although I'm sure mental health will continue to feature in it, let's just say that it's as yet untitled...  
      

Comments

Lost in Space said…
Glad to hear that you are now doing so well, and hope it continues. It certainly does give hope to those of us earlier on our journeys.

But I look forward to the new direction for your blog, as you have always shown that there is so much more to us than our diagnosis.
klahanie said…
Hey David,

We both know that your mental health concerns are only a small part of who you are.

And with a variance on your theme, that will show another positive step forward. Let your imagination run wild and have fun.

Talk soon, my hairy friend.

Gary
Dixie@dcrelief said…
David, "A Day in the Life' is just that... a single day... undefined unless we assign something to it.

Here's to days that bring pleasure, and of those that bring wisdom; embrace all.

Most sincerely,
Dixie
David said…
Hi Lost in Space,
I'm so glad you think my blog has given hope to others and shown that there is more to all of those diagnosed than simply their illness. After all, that was part of its purpose!
I hope that you continue to get better too.
Very Best Wishes,
David.
David said…
Hi Gary,
Ah, my hirsute, hippy friend, I shall indeed endeavour to let my imagination run wild and have fun. In fact, I was just imagining your hairy back, but unfortunately, it didn't provide much fun!
Anyway, I will ring soon, as it's been a while, methinks.
Very Best Regards,
David
David said…
Hi Dixie,
Thanks for your wise words, and I shall indeed try to "embrace all" that each day brings.
Thanks, Dixie.
Very Best Wishes,
David.

Popular posts from this blog

By the Age of 40, Everyone has the Face they Deserve.

Dave's Progress. Chapter 18: Me and My Anhedonia.

The Asylum vs. Care in the Community.